Has anyone tried an anti-inflammatory diet and how has it helped?

• Millie72
  • Millie72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • passionate about natural health
More
9 months 2 days ago #29119 by Millie72
I developed sciatica after my sacrum twisted out of alignment a year ago and even though it's back in alignment the nerve pain, shooting pain, and numbness have continued and worsened significantly. I have tried everything from painkillers to osteopathic treatment and stretching. I did a lot of research and decided to change my diet to an anti-inflammatory diet (like the Mediterranean diet) which basically meant no more bread, but also much more vegetables and some nuts, avocados, and olive oil. Anyway, after about a month my pain went down from 9/10 to about 4-5 out of 10, so an improvement. I wondered if anyone else had tried foods and what their experience was? I wonder sometimes if I am eating enough of the right things. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #29666 by Shauno
G'day Millie

I am constantly playing around with food as medicine trying to reduce the inflammatory markers in my body and I have certainly found good success, particularly with regard to neuropathic pain. I've been a vego for a long time but a few years ago I began to worry that maybe I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet so I started eating white meat with the odd piece of red meat every now and again. I kept this up for a couple of years and eventually realised my nerve was getting worse but didn't stop to think about my diet as a cause for concern. Last September I was in hospital for a few weeks having a shattered femur repaired and when I got home I decided to go vegan (hospital food will do that!) and I have noticed a reduction in my nerve pain. In the last few weeks I've been consuming fish so I guess I'm now more of a vegequarian than anything else but I feel so much lighter and healthier without dairy or meat. Lots of greens, nuts, olive oil and colour in my diet. I just love it. I have little platters of dips, crackers, olives and vegetable sticks most days and it makes me feel really spoilt. I love miso soups and dumplings because they are so easy to make. I buy bags of turmeric spice from the supermarket (not in capsule form from the chemist - way too expensive) and make a paste with warm water and black pepper and then add it to meals, stews and soups. The mediterranean diet is amazing! I also find cinnamon helps lift my mood which in turn helps reduce my pain.

More
1 month 5 days ago #29839 by Johnno
Hi Shauna,

I have found turmeric helps arthritis for me anyway I have it with cider vinegar and honey and make a drink .
I buy mine in those Indian spice shops which is cheap as chips

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds