• perilous
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #29573 by perilous
From panadeine forte to opioids. was created by perilous
Hi everyone,
I introduced myself many months ago when I was first told I would end up in a wheelchair. Well, I’m not in one yet thank goodness, and will fight tooth and nail not to.
Pain wise I’ve tried many painkillers - my dr is very helpful and willing to try almost anything. My main pain comes from two knees that are bone on bone (I’m on the waiting list but that could be up to another year. My other pain comes from advanced degenerative disc disease, with a couple of herniated discs with one pressing on the sciatica nerve.
After all that I’ll get on to the main reason I’m writing. I was on panadeine forte for many years until quite recently when my dr felt they were affecting my liver. So next came palexia, Targin, Lyrica, but quite honestly I found the panadeine forte far more affective - mind you I was taking four at a time! Has anyone else experienced this with panadeine forte? My latest painkiller are fentanyl patches - 45mcg but quite honestly they do nothing. Am I expecting too much from the painkillers and should accept that I’ll always been in pain.? I can’t walk without the aid of a walker, and am fortunate to have been able to buy a mobility scooter through my level two package. And that’s something that I wonder if our members know about? It’s been such a help to me - I have a cleaner, a visiting physiotherapist and just recently discovered I can get liteneasy as I can no longer stand long enough to cook etc. Its a wonderful provision and can be accessed by ringing My Aged Care and asking for an assessment.
Sorry for going on so long but I would welcome advice on which opioids have helped you.
Thank you,
Pauline

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #29574 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic From panadeine forte to opioids.
Hi Pauline,

So good to hear you are still battling away and not wheelchair bound.

I am a long time user of Codeine by way of Panadiene Forte. Actually, I only really need them for when I go to bed at night, then approx 20 mg 3 times during the day after that would suffice and get me through the day.

Problem is, Panadiene is not on the PBS and is too expensive to buy when you are on a disability pension. So my GP gives me a lot of P. Forte, which I cut up and use with panadol. This has been helpful.

I don't take anywhere near the amount you do. Heck, I would end up in hospital if I did. I have a chemical sensitivity and strong drugs make me sick. Sometimes very sick. Even the amount of Codeine I do take, it makes me a little sick, but the benefits of being able to keep moving outweigh the feelings of having a headache and hangover, which I get every time I take any drugs. I hate taking any drugs, but it's a necessity I'm afraid.

What I have done is work out how I can live with a lot of pain and only take enough drugs to take the sharp edge off. So the medication I'm on takes care of less than 20% of my pain, the rest I have taught myself to deal with in other ways. And yes, a lot of it is psychological. After suffering this pain for roughly 58 years, I have come to the place where drugs have to be the smallest part of my daily routine, but activity, movement, good food and water, intellectually challenging myself, being involved in the community doing volunteer work, but most of all, listening to my body.

When my body says it's time to lie down, I lie down. I choose the time to lie down, even if my brain is screaming at me to do it earlier. I have learnt to tell my brain to 'go to hell cos I'll do it when I'm ready,' which has given me much more scope or movement within my day to achieve a few more goals. But if I don't lie down at some point, I will not sleep much that night or for the next few nights. So, spending an hour on the bed in a darkened room with a pillow over my head to deaden the sound, I check out for an hour. I rarely sleep, just quietly lie there. I guess it's my form of meditation. Sometimes I dose a bit, but usually I don't. But I can tell you that before the hour is up, I am in a lot of pain and have to get up.

The worst thing I can do to hurt myself at all, is go to bed. That is probably the most painful thing to do. And because of this, when I have well and truly run out of medication, I start waking up and that happens any time after 3.00 am. So virtually each morning I have been driven out of bed by 4.30 am and that is when I take my first lot of meds. I am so glad to be out of bed and moving around, because the pain starts to ease once I do.

Life for us can be pretty shitty, but only if you look at it that way. I have made a point of only acknowledging the good and the positive stuff. If I have to acknowledge the negative stuff, it is only to point out the hiccup in my day, which will be shortly improved or rectified. This helps to change the narrative that is occurring in your brain.

Anyway, I don't know if you will get any medication that will do a better job or help you with your liver issues. All I know is that for me with all my spinal problems and body wide pain, I do better with less medication and more of everything else, which includes going to the gym twice a week for an hour doing movement exercises with the oldies. Best thing I ever did!

Keep us informed on how you get on.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #29575 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic From panadeine forte to opioids.
Hey Pete,

Can you use Panadol osteo as I can give you the script name for it

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #29576 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic From panadeine forte to opioids.
Hi Johnno,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been there and done that one.

Panadol Osteo? I have only just stopped using it a couple of months ago. It is a useless drug. For me that is.

Paracetamol does little for me and Panadol Osteo has nothing else in it. It is just 665mg of Paracetamol, which is a highly toxic and dangerous drug.

What makes me angry at doctors the most is that they are taking people off of Opioid drugs and forcing them to take Panadol Osteo. Now, I know that this drug works well for some people, but it doesn't do too well for many others.

As much as Codeine makes me ill, it is the only drug that I have tried that will keep me upright during the day if I take small'ish doses of it. Paracetamol actually does little to nothing for my pain at all.

What I do is take 4 doses of Forte over the day with one Panadol tablet. This gives me a little more coverage and helps me get through the day better, but still only looks after less than 20% of my pain.

The problem is Johnno, if I find a drug that will take care of my pain, which I have used in the past with other Opioids, I end up very ill. The pain might be manageable, but I still end up in bed because the drug itself makes me too ill to function.

So I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds