Struggling to manage pain

• 289's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28941 by 289
Struggling to manage pain was created by 289
I'm new here, so sorry if I'm not posting in the right area.
I've dealt with chronic pain for 9 years after a car accident and as I age, the pain gets worse.
I've started doing yoga twice a day which is good pain relief but i can't sit or lie down without my back sending me sharp pains everywhere. I've got old compression fractures in my thoracic spine and 4 herniated disc in lumbar spine. Plus sciatica.
At first i thought my fear of moving my back was making it worse but now I'm doing all the right things, seen physios, bought everything the natropath suggested and it's still as bad as it was.
For pain i take panadine forte and valium and for the mild pain, this works. However because I've taken so much, i feel like it's time to shift up a level. My doctor suggested Norspan patches. Has anyone had any experience with these? I usually get nasty side effects to most medications so what I'm looking for is the one with the least side effects whereas the doctors prefer to prescribe the least addictive. Surely for chronic pain, it cant be classed as an addiction?
Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28942 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Struggling to manage pain
Hey 289,

Welcome and please understand we know your pain and by god you are doing extremely well with the small amount of medication you are on at present .
I believe the norspan patches are a form of opioid so if you don’t want to go down that path you may be best to leave well enough alone .
Have you been told about nervations they burn the nerves back to reduce the amount of pain egisterng in the old brain box ,it’s not everybody’s cup of tea but I have had some success from it.
Where do you reside because if your in se Qld we have a coffee meet every few weeks if you wish to come .
It’s late and I’m hurting so to all goodnight well hopefully pain reduced I have endone calling me

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #29026 by fingers
Replied by fingers on topic Struggling to manage pain
I know this is an old post but I am interested to see how you got on. Norspan is a 7 day slow release patch that contains the opioid Buprenorphine (according to literature it is less addictive than codeine), it is the same drug they use to treat opiate addiction, but instead of a high dose pill you get a patch that releases between 5Mcg/h and 40Mcg/h.

I have been on it before with good results, it is not something that would commonly be prescribed (I don't know why) but for people who need around the clock coverage it would be worth checking out.Just start low and only go as high as you need to.

There are three commonly used terms. Tolerance refers to the increase amount of a drug you need to get the same effect, Dependence is where if you suddenly stop the drug your body would go do hell, and addiction is where you abuse the drug and keep wanting to take more than needed to get a result different to what you have been prescribed..

I am dependant on my pain medication but in no way I am addicted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EBWest

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #29041 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Struggling to manage pain
Hey Fingers ,
I would have thought that patches depending on your bodies heat ,unfortunately I have a high body temperature and perspire at the slightest mention of 30deg I’ve heard if you perspire a lot they secrete more and can slide off.
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse
The following user(s) said Thank You: EBWest

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #29048 by Duchess Dolly
Replied by Duchess Dolly on topic Struggling to manage pain
you dont take much pain relief do you....you manage well....i thought i manged well....i took of the patches......but i am now what they call is a prescription addict.....i cannot cope with life without Targin and endone when needed........also a couple of nerve ones. The patches are a bit addictive but what can you do........and yes i was told even with the chronic pain i have it is an addiction.........and think....come walk in my shoes..... you do what you can do to cope and servive....good Luck

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #29049 by EBWest
Replied by EBWest on topic Struggling to manage pain
That's what happened to me! The bloody things wouldn't stick, so for a while, until my doc decided to try soemthing else, the pain was partying down like a group of teenagers on their first experience of grog. Not a good period of my life.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds