A letter for those who need to show people what it’s like to suffer chronic pain

More
1 year 8 months ago #29572 by DCAU

Johnno wrote:
Please understand that being able to stand up for ten minutes doesn’t necessarily mean that I can stand up for twenty minutes, or an hour. Just because I managed to stand up for thirty minutes yesterday doesn’t mean that I can do the same today. With a lot of diseases you’re either paralyzed, or you can move. With this one, it gets more confusing everyday. It can be like a yo-yo. I never know from day to day, how I am going to feel when I wake up. In most cases, I never know from minute to minute. That is one of the hardest and most frustrating components of chronic pain.

Please repeat the above paragraph substituting, “sitting”, “walking”, “thinking”, “concentrating”, “being sociable” and so on … it applies to everything. That’s what chronic pain does to you.

Please understand that chronic pain is variable. It’s quite possible (for many, it’s common) that one day I am able to walk to the park and back, while the next day I’ll have trouble getting to the next room.

This is the thing that caused me the most frustration for the first 6 or so months of being in chronic pain, and would do my head in just trying to understand why some days were better than others.

I eventually gave up trying to understand why, and now, I just try and get the most out of the "better" days (aka, the "least worst" days).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.