Public Surgery waiting lists in SE-QLD

More
1 year 3 months ago #29988 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Public Surgery waiting lists in SE-QLD
Hi LB,

I hear you ! I’ve been fighting the flubbers as it will do harm to me so am having physio 3 times a week , exercise physio twice a week and hydrotherapy once a week plus I am trying to get my Fitbit to the Max each day “not very successful I’m afraid “
But still keeping up the exercise helps

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DCAU
  • Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29993 by DCAU
Replied by DCAU on topic Public Surgery waiting lists in SE-QLD
Hi Lisa,

Many thanks for the reply - I didn't see this come through in my emails, and only saw Johnno's reply.

I've already been in for my initial consultation, had a few x-rays while I was there, an MRI a week later, and then about a month later, a bone scan.

More or less, just waiting for the follow up, which I have called about, but they couldn't offer any details. I check my letterbox daily (even though the postie no longer comes by daily), just in the hope that something arrives sooner.

I was told that I could request the medical information (from the x-rays, MRI, bone scan etc), but that hasn't turned out to be true (or if it has, the 24-48 hours has turned into two weeks.

I'm generally quite polite, and have kind of worked in QLD Health so know the stuff that the workers have to put up with, so I go out of my way to be ultra polite to them.

That's really not good about your partner - I kind of know how he must feel, as I've not been able to continue taking most of the medication they say helps (like Lyrica).

Honestly, the only thing that helps me is laying down - the longer the better, but that obviously has it's own issues (particularly with weight gain).

From the sounds of it, I probably won't be able to go through with surgery (which makes the decision easier), as I was carrying extra weight beforehand, and it's just getting worse.

I hope things improve for your partner (in terms of lessening pain, weight etc). :-)

And thanks again for the response. It's very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DCAU.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29994 by LB
it's a shame if you can't have it - it was like a miracle for Mr - the lifting off of the shattered bit that was pressing on the nerve bundle meant sudden and unbelievable pain relief. The new disk took a little bit of getting used to, but going from "nothing works, and if this doesn't stop, he's going to kill himself" to "neck problem, what neck problem?" was amazing.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29995 by LB
lol, now i feel guilty - i've been very slack with my own working out. You're an inspiration :) Mr credits the massive amount of physio & hydro he did after his first injury with getting him out of the wheelchair. Surgeons told him he wouldn't walk again, wouldn't work again, and he did both.

• DCAU
  • Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago #30015 by DCAU
Hi LB,

That's great that he's been able to walk again. :-)

I think some doctors/surgeons write off patients. It's really up to the individual and how they approach medical conditions.

Some give up, some refuse to.

Cheers,
Darren

• DCAU
  • Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #30035 by DCAU
Argh. Time for a new GP, I think.

Short version:

18/06/2019 - contacted the hospital that I'd had my scans done at. Asked when it was likely I'd get back in to see the neurosurgeon. They advised me it would be months (which I expected). They suggested I'd be able to get my scans looked at quicker if I could get my GP to send in a referral. Also spoke to their records department to get them sent to my GP. Advised it would take 24-48 hours if my GP requested them, 4-5 weeks if I requested them.

So, I visited my GP that same night to get everything started. Was advised that a referral would only get me shifted onto a different list, which would see me placed at the end of the line. Also advised that they couldn't request my medical records - I'd have to do it, but reception could help me. Request form signed and presumably sent off.

25/07/2019 - contacted my GP clinic to find out if my details had been received by them - advised they would check, and call me back. No call back (fair enough).

26/07/2019 - called the GP clinic again to find out and mentioned that nobody had called me back. I was told that it would cost me around $100 for the information, and that the section responsible processed all requests down in Blacktown, and once they had processed it, I'd receive an invoice before they'd proceed.

That was news to me - there was no mention of this at the time I filled in the form, and neither the receptionist nor my GP had mentioned this (and I wouldn't have agreed anyway). Explained this to the receptionist, who I then reminded that I'd already spoken to them yesterday, and somebody should have called me back. She then advised that no "clinical" staff were there to check, and the only other person who could check was leaving soon. She advised that she could get my GP to call me (he hasn't).

I again called the hospital to find out if they could give me an idea. Was again told that my GP could send in a referral, which the treating doctor could have look at, and possibly get me in sooner (or at least to look at the results of the scans).

I advised that I had already asked, and explained what he had said at the time. He said that this was true for new referrals, but not for "reviews" which was applicable to me.

So, almost two months after my last scan, I'm still waiting to find out details of what is wrong (I have a rough idea based on CT scans from December 2017 and December 2018), but I'm quite annoyed by this clinic that seemingly, hasn't done anything, and a GP that is indifferent to what happens.

The person at the hospital also advised that it could be longer than the three months I was originally told - just to find out the results.

By the time I get my results, it'll be close to two years of absolute crap waiting in the public hospital system.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DCAU.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.