Introduction

• lubbing5cherubs
  • lubbing5cherubs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago #11664 by lubbing5cherubs
Introduction was created by lubbing5cherubs
Hi My name is Toni. I am suffering chronic pain that L3 discectomy was suppose to cure. It didn't it made the pain worse and into other areas. My right foot has now dropped and drags. I am so exhausted from lack of sleep. I feel so low, everything I did and enjoy now causes me great amount of pain. Sadly there been times this year where I rather be dead as I felt like the living dead. This years been so hard. I live in a high story house and getting in my house is getting harder and harder. I had a doctor tell me to sell up and buy a new house. I am not in financial position to do this. I am just making ends meet trying to raise 5 kids. Has anyone been in a similar situation. Like to get in my house I have to stop half way and brfeak as this triggers my back to spasm. Anyone got some advice on what to do. I am feeling so alone and there some days I just come home and sit at the bottom of the step. Some ffreinds that don't know our financial situation says we build under your house to live in. that takes $$ that we don't have. Anyone been in this situation that can help me. Just physical being able to leave my house would be a nice start. Any advice
thanks
toni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #11667 by grappers
Replied by grappers on topic Introduction
Hi Toni welcome to the forum, failed back surgery twice, foot droop yes, back spasms not as bad as they use to be but still get them, My house is not double story, but to get in and out either front or back you have to use stairs and once out of the house you are either walikg up hill or down and a bit of a steep grade. If you have read any previous posts I too was one who suffered from lack of sleep, and would crash after 4 days of not sleeping due to pain and back spasms and being intolerant to medication made matters worse. For me I was lucky the spinal stimulator was a successful option, sleep now is a hell of a lot easier, pain levels are down. The only way I use to get out of the house was by car or by my gopher, the latter being a good option for local trips as I used this to get to the gym for hydro sessions or just to get out from the boredom of being couped up inside all day.
You have not mentioned whether you are dealing with this alone, or if you have attended a pain clinic and have a pain management team behind you, if not this would be a good start.

Don

• lubbing5cherubs
  • lubbing5cherubs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #11669 by lubbing5cherubs
Replied by lubbing5cherubs on topic Introduction
Hi grapper,
I am married to the most wonderful husband and 5 teenage kids. I am being refered to the pain clinic in jan, as my neurosurgeon wants me to repeat another MRI on Wednesday and I see him on 10th jan, and then he said there the next step is pain clinic . As he can't explain it. I nearly felt like he did not believe me which made me cry some more.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by lubbing5cherubs.

More
8 years 1 month ago #11673 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic Introduction
Hi Toni and welcome.

Some doctors tend to make you feel like a hypochondriac when they don't have answers. I have no idea why but it seems to be their way of dealing with it, whereas a little bit of empathy would do wonders. I have been on the receiving end of this and I cried for a whole afternoon.

The pain clinic should be able to help you to cope with the pain, but they may not be able to cure it. They will, however, be able to give you correct medication and then help you to deal with whatever pain you have after that. I guess that you already have the kids organized to help you around the house. It must be hard with such a large family.

You will find a lot of information and advice here, so happy reading.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: lubbing5cherubs

More
8 years 1 month ago #11675 by BIY
Replied by BIY on topic Introduction
Hi Toni,

Welcome to the forum. You are not alone feeling like you're not being believed. Chronic Pain is very complex and I think doctors basically like to be able to "fix" patients and people with chronic pain don't always respond in the normal way to the usual treatments so some doctors can feel at a real loss as to know what to do next.

I think the neurosurgeon is a lot more switched on than some of the doctors I've come across as he is taking a really good approach in not just leaving you on your own, but referring you to a pain clinic. A pain clinic is not only helpful in understanding about chronic pain and the effects it has on your body; it will also give you tools and tips on how to live with pain and how to best manage it.

Hugs to you,
Fee
The following user(s) said Thank You: lubbing5cherubs

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #11678 by grappers
Replied by grappers on topic Introduction
Toni it will be suprising what the MRI will reveal, it was not until they tried cortisone and nerve blocks after my first surgery that an MRI revealed bone growing through my sciatic nerve other bony growths and a lot of scar tissue wrapped around other nerves, so the MRI soon told them why I was still in pain.
The pain clinic is the right step forward, at least there you will get some help in dealing with chronic pain, even with the stim implant I have the pain is still present, that's one part that will never change, but the tools I learnt at a pain management course make living in pain a whole lot easier.

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.