Nocturnal cramps

• Oxytotem
  • Oxytotem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #13695 by Oxytotem
Nocturnal cramps was created by Oxytotem
What would be the best thing for leg cramps?i researched a bit on the net on prevention and I've been taking endura salts and tonic water (apparently the quinine helps).i had two excruciating cramps about 3 hours apart last night, one in each calf muscle and still today my calves are really sore.dad reckons try to get out of bed and stamp my feet to get the blood back in my legs but my whole leg paralyses itself and I can't lift it without manually picking up my leg.they lasted about 5 minutes each.i was rubbing the muscles and trying to wriggle my toes,but I'm not sure if the extra stimulation added or helped,as the pain just kept racking up.i haven't had them for a while,but jeez it was shocking!ruined my whole day.i also think the spasms contributed increased pain in my knee joints too today. :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oxytotem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #13696 by Oxytotem
Replied by Oxytotem on topic Nocturnal cramps
Recently also been getting weird shoulder blade cramps that make it very difficult to get comfortable when trying to get to sleep at night and often wake up with a really sore spine in between the shoulders which reoccurs throughout the day.i guess would hot showers and dencorub help much?i know that oxycodone is supposed to be a muscle relaxant as well,but doesn't seem to have the greatest effect in that sense for me...
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Oxytotem.

More
8 years 3 months ago #13700 by Eliza
Replied by Eliza on topic Nocturnal cramps
Hey Tom, OxyContin 40 mg doesn't help my aching/cramping muscles either. I read weather wrote that they are a muscle relaxant...not for me they aren't..... Hmmm my gp Said tonic water too! That never worked. Sometimes I have them so bad I have to get up and my legs also collapse, luckily I haven't had them too much lately though my calves continually ache, its a nerve issue for me from my back and so much worse since my spinal op.

I've just started taking 300mg dissolving magnesium lemon flavoured tablets so I'll let you know if they help me. I also was massaging them with wintergreen oil though that didn't provide any relief either. I wish I also had the answer. I just wrapped a magnetic necklace around my ankle to see if that helps the unremitting ankle pain. I'm at a loss what to do though I used to put my feet on the cold tiles as well during the night because my feet burn up. There's nothing worse than those cramps that make you want to jump up and out of bed. :evil:

I hope you can get some sleep!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #13714 by grappers
Replied by grappers on topic Nocturnal cramps
I use to get shocking leg cramps and little toe cramps, the ones no matter how much you stretch they don't go, and when you think they are gone and you climb back into bed zap they strike again. I took all sorts of pills and natural substances to try and relieve these cramps without success, what I have done is increase my fluid intake during the day and have 1 or 2 sport drinks made from the powder, I save one of these drinks for around 6 pm and touch wood I have not suffered with cramps for about 5 months now.
PS I have also added salt (sea salt) into my diet

Don

More
8 years 3 months ago #13715 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic Nocturnal cramps
Tom, I use to get cramps in my legs a lot too, plus restless leg syndrome.
Someone told me to try out the Blackmore's Bio-Magnesium to see if that worked. Well, I have been on them now for years and I don't have any cramps nor do I suffer the restless leg syndrome as much as before.

I took one at night before bed, but when i needed more, I took one in the morning as well. And that is all I take now. It certainly has worked well for me.

Magnesium is the key here I think. If you are a person who likes to take a bath, having Epsom Salts in the bath and vigorously rubbing your legs with a face cloth, will assist with the uptake of magnesium into your legs, which will also assist with the cramps.

But you must increase the amount of water you drink, as Don has said.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)
So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

• Oxytotem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #13721 by Oxytotem
Replied by Oxytotem on topic Nocturnal cramps
Thank you Eliza,Don and Peter for your input.last night I had the magnesium salts ( endura) and tonic water :P , just to make sure.while I didn't have the cramps the paranoia going to sleeps wasn't pleasant.my legs are still really sore and I'm kinda hobbling round like Baldric from black adder at the moment :lol: wonder how works going to go...I think during this hot weather I will just have to keep up the fluids, electrolytes and the endura salts and hope for the best.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.