Your opinion on my condition and treatment

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19928 by Sammie
Replied by Sammie on topic Your opinion on my condition and treatment
Hi Kam1,

I agree with Don. Which state are you in? I've spent two considerable stints at the Vic Rehab Centre when I was having two (separate), ketamine infusions last year. I was nearly always the youngest person there, but it didn't matter. I found that the hydrotherapy and the occupational therapy was valuable, but ultimately, there's a limit to how much they can offer. Perhaps you should look into the possibility of a spinal cord stimulator too, if drug therapy, and physical therapy is not helping.

Cheers,

Sammie

chronicallystimulated.blogspot.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kam1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Collins
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Dedicated to pain research when possible
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19931 by Collins
Replied by Collins on topic Your opinion on my condition and treatment
Hey Kam1

I was a Martial Arts Instructor/ Army Infantry Sergeant and Senior fire-fighter all at the same time of my accident so I can relate to being a physically active guy.

Firstly I must say that there is no magic silver bullet – if there was, we wouldn’t be here! You will rather have to find many silver bullets that can add up to a powerful weapon in the fight against pain, but you probably already know this in the back of your mind.
Secondly I would agree with all the others here in doing the course – you have nothing to lose but potentially lots to gain in education. It is also a known scientific fact that being around others with Chronic Pain can be mentally supportive and helpful in many ways – so attending will be of benefit to you, if not just for the support and/or company of others that can also appreciate what it’s like to be in pain. So go for it and have no reservations in attending!

I hope the following things may help you:

You need to remember and be cognisant that PTSD, depression all feed into the cycle of pain and make it much worse, so it’s important as your priority to make sure your head is in the right place as much as possible, regardless. From my experience this is very easy to say but also very hard to do as Pain and Depression go hand in hand. But I have been trained over a long time myself by my psychologist to understand that you cannot be happy all the time (as it is part of the human emotional cycle), but you can indeed be happy and maintain a positive outlook even in the face of intense and enduring pain and that you can minimise the down time to its absolute minimum with this understanding.

The most effective tool in recovering from chronic pain (scientifically speaking) is early intervention by a multi-disciplinary multi-faceted team. You are now time wise at a stage, where this is becoming crucial. Surround yourself with as many of the best medical professionals in all fields as quickly as possible (this is also one of the goals of the course you are about to undertake). Build you team up as this takes time! See the professionals that are helping you the most but keep in contact with all team members. Focus on contemporary medicine but do not discount any help from any area (Integrative medicine under a G.P) but rather use all of everything to its maximum potential, what I mean by this is that alternate medicine should not be discarded but rather kept as one of the many tools in your pain management chest. E.g. Acupuncture is actually an alternate medicine but almost every Doctor accepts it being very potentially viable in helping some patients and will be happy to refer people to an acupuncturist if they request it, it’s even actually scientifically proven to be viable in helping with pain! Besides billions of Chinese cannot be wrong -lol, however try to choose an Acupuncturist that is a qualified G.P. if you think they can help you. I am actually not telling you to see an acupuncturist, I am merely telling you not to discount them, as being part of your pain management multi-faceted/ multidisciplinary team just because they are alternative (over 50% of people see an alternative of some form)

The most effective tool in fighting Chronic Pain scientifically is meditation – this is because neuropathic pain will sensitise pathways and the only way to fight this, is through meditation and positive outlook. Think of it as a series of highways and there is an accident on the one you are travelling, if you stay travelling on the same pathway you will get stuck and face more pain and get nowhere in the end, but if you can train your brain to travel on a different road to the destination be it a back road or another freeway – then you can train yourself in knowing many ways to get there over time. The earlier you begin to learn, the better off in travelling you will become. Effective medication can produce chemicals in the body stronger than any known painkillers including opiates! Remember that pain is so tricky in neuroplasticity that your pathways can train themselves to make new paths to pain to override your painkillers effectiveness. So the only truly long term solution is meditation and learning new pathways around the pain. So It is great that you are seeing a psychologist – they can help with this ongoing pain battle a great deal, use them to the maximum - ask your psychologist to help you in maintaining a happy and positive outlook/ train you in SNS awareness/ Meditation and look at hypnotism if they are qualified, these are there strengths in helping you.

Look at my tool chest for pain management post and add what works for you, use as many tool as you can find, no one thing works but many of them are quite powerful combined - consider trying a TENS machine to help in difficult times - this can often give you an idea whether an implant will be successful or not - worth seeing you G.P. about one

Remember you cannot have a healthy body without a healthy mind – they are one, together and interwoven, you cannot exist without both the body and the mind - scientifically speaking and don’t forget the saying – you don’t use it – you will lose it – it applies both to the body and the mind! So exercise both as much as possible without over extending form a base and build upon it slowly!

Another strong tool in the chest that I can give you is maintain both education and support in Chronic Pain – so stay here and keep posting as you feel the need (only if it is helping you and not stressing you) – the benefits and effects alone can produce emotional support and those chemicals that make you feel good.

Get yourself a solicitor a.s.a.p. I will assume you already have one, but if you don’t, be quick and get one for the assistance you will need.

Now go and surround yourself with the best and as many of those multi-faceted and multi-disciplinary team players that you can find and build up on them as quick as you can without discounting any help – I have about twenty people in my team!

I hope you find something useful here, in helping you deal with what is a difficult challenge, but remember that you wouldn’t be alive if life wasn’t a challenge!

Good luck!
Jamie

One of the silent voices, supporting CPA

• Kam1
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19933 by Kam1
Thank you very much for your input Jamie!!! I will definetly take your advice onboard, life is a battle at the moment I just hope I am winning..
As for the question above on what state I am in, I am from VIC.

• Collins
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #19934 by Collins
Here to help you buddy!

If we can help in any way - let us know

Be positive - I am winning for sure - I will keep winning and nothing can beat me from getting more experience in the battle and fight against chronic pain!

Get some great music together that makes you feel good and relaxed - it can be a great and powerful tool when the chips are down!

Use a balanced approach to all the tools so that neural plasticity does not get a chance to build pathways of pain around your tools - this will keep them effective! Use your best tools as the last resorts for best effectiveness!

Enjoy the course - watch those 80 yr old grannies run rings around you on the treadmill and admire them - always makes me feel good watching them run rings around me - god bless the old darlings! :)

Best wishes and Regards
Jamie

P.S - thanks for your kind words and thanks - you just give me a good dose of chemicals that are making me feel useful and helpful and good and this is helping me whilst I am in pain! - you will be doing this for others soon! - it's just how it works - sharing the care!

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Collins.

• Kam1
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19937 by Kam1

Collins wrote: Here to help you buddy!

If we can help in any way - let us know

Be positive - I am winning for sure - I will keep winning and nothing can beat me from getting more experience in the battle and fight against chronic pain!

Get some great music together that makes you feel good and relaxed - it can be a great and powerful tool when the chips are down!

Use a balanced approach to all the tools so that neural plasticity does not get a chance to build pathways of pain around your tools - this will keep them effective! Use your best tools as the last resorts for best effectiveness!

Enjoy the course - watch those 80 yr old grannies run rings around you on the treadmill and admire them - always makes me feel good watching them run rings around me - god bless the old darlings! :)

Best wishes and Regards
Jamie

P.S - thanks for your kind words and thanks - you just give me a good dose of chemicals that are making me feel useful and helpful and good and this is helping me whilst I am in pain! - you will be doing this for others soon! - it's just how it works - sharing the care!

Lol! Spot on, them granny's are quick! I definetly listen to a hell of a lot of music, with my headphones on it does take me away from my pain temporarily. CP is a battle and I'm still figuring out how to beat it, and I will!........... Eventually. Hahaha.

• Collins
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19938 by Collins
Hey Kam1

If you like - I can send you some material that may help you education wise in your battles with pain.

Just PM me with your email if you like and I can send it through to you

Don't post your email here - for personal security reasons - use PM for this

Regards
Jamie

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.