• illeatyu
  • illeatyu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #22953 by illeatyu
Depression was created by illeatyu
Hey Guy's,

I couldn't find a post on this and as it's a huge part of my life and I am assuming most others on this forum have it as well.

What I am interested in is do you have it and what do you do to help other than meds, I have read some posts on Delta wave music and I am trying some meditation but I was wondering what has helped others, cause maybe it will help me.

And also anyone else who reads this post may also get some ideas.

Illeatyu

“All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. And came together to form you, you are unique in the universe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #23019 by Marley
Replied by Marley on topic Depression
Hi illeatyu :cheer:
I am sorry I don't have anything to add to your post, but having been in a psychiatric ward for chronic depression, I was amazed by the number of patients with chronic pain but haaven't made the connection and it seems as if many doctors/staff haven't either. The consensus is to either "destress," "not think about 'it" or some other useless advice.
The connection between stress and pain has been well discussed in this forum, but there is very little about depression. The 'treatment' seems to be distraction and activity with medication, but finding something I have found helpful I can not offer because I am yet to find one that doesnt aggrivate the other.
Thank you for raising this.
Marley :sick:

Once I could laugh with everyone
Once I could see the good to me
Holding the world inside
Now the world is grey to me
Nobody can see you gotta believe it
Oh oh the night comes down
And I get afraid of losing my way
And it’s dark again
“The Night Comes Down” Queen
The following user(s) said Thank You: illeatyu

More
5 years 3 months ago #23020 by arjay
Replied by arjay on topic Depression
hi I have experienced depression on and off over many years. Most of the time I use an SSRI Lexapro/escilitopram 1st thing upon waking and keeping my mind occupied with things I like doing. This doesnt always work 100% but its too easy to go downhill doing nothing. I have my ups and downs but these day I am mostly coping Ok. Some other suggestions are listening to music that gives you a lift ,whaterever lifts your mood. I find colours can lift my mood . At the moment concentration on Windows screensaver using "Pipes" and setting colour and speed can be a pleasant distraction from thinking sad thoughts. Talking to others. My libraries have meditation cd's and sometimes are a good source of helpful books. Above all all things change some slowly sometime quickly Dont give up

• illeatyu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #23021 by illeatyu
Replied by illeatyu on topic Depression
Hi Guy's

I found out last week that I am once again looking for work, and as you can guess finding a Job with Chronic pain and all the meds that go with it is hard, so is the depression spike that came along with it. I have found that if I listen to a meditation app "One Giant Mind" that I am asleep before it finishes, doesn't keep me there but it's better than Stilnox every night.

I have also and I know Music is subjective started listening to what they call operatic Goth, bands like Edenbridge, Within Temptation, Nightwish Etc, I found that because they are singing with actual words not just yelling I get hooked on the rock beat, and distracted by the words. And it helps distract me just like you said Arjay.

Marley, you obviously have some idea of just how many health professionals haven't put two and two together, my first shrink said to me "well the bullying at work has stopped" so you should get better now, and I said what about the pain and she said, "That's not a big part of it" thankfully the new one I saw had some experience with Chronic pain and she told me that as long as I had the pain I would have Depression in some form or another but I could get to the Mild stage with help and proper medication for the Pain and the depression I have "major Depression now he Got Promoted", And she was right for a while there life was Pleasant I won't say good, but I had more good days than bad.

Oh and Marley I found this BB the other day, they seem to be nice people and it's an Australian based forum that's gone Global, now I'm not saying leave her cause I like talking to you guy's but they have a HUGE section on Living with depression, anyway I have the same name on there as here.

blueboard.anu.edu.au/

Illeatyu

“All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. And came together to form you, you are unique in the universe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marley

More
5 years 3 months ago #23022 by Marley
Replied by Marley on topic Depression
Hi illeatyu
Thanks for the link. ;)

I have been on mental health message boards, both Australian and 'other' places based. This one seems run from Australian National Uni (anu.edu) which is unusual and I wonder how much data they collect for research (not that it would bother me.)

Not about to leave these boards because they are quite differently focussed and I have come to develop a 'relationship' with this bunch who get chronic pain is not cured by popping a pill, and has life impacts that most people do not connect. After all "Bex is better" LOL the cure for everything until removed from the market. I believe 'snake oil' is still available though.
It is also rare to find a message board that has not degenerated into nasties and disagreements of opinion is ok.
The Chicken or the Egg? Chronic pain changes your life but grieving what will never be again is not understood (outside of here) and I believe this has contributed to my depression which feeds the pain which feeds...

Sorry starting to rant, amazed registration accepted given their rules, and will check it out properly when I can think straighter.
Thanks
Marley :sick:

Once I could laugh with everyone
Once I could see the good to me
Holding the world inside
Now the world is grey to me
Nobody can see you gotta believe it
And I get afraid of losing my way
And it’s dark again
“The Night Comes Down” Queen

• illeatyu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #23023 by illeatyu
Replied by illeatyu on topic Depression
Marley,

It's all good, I also think this is a rare place, and have found much support and compassion amongst the posts and the people, I think Chronic Pain changes the way you look at the world, and I think it makes two types of people, those who turn inward and become bitter and angry at the world, and those who become empathic and reach out to others to give and receive help and support.

Now I don't have anything against anyone, but I have met people on both sides and its hard to come to terms and deal with what life has dealt if you can't move forwards, and the people who are bitter and angry don't want to or don't know how to let it go and move on.

Most of the people I have met on this site are the later, they feel much more deeply, and have more patience because of what they have, and so are able to give too others in pain, and are able to receive when they are in need, and learning how to accept help is almost as hard as letting go the Anger at what your life has become.

Anyway my 2c worth. :)

Illeatyu

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marley

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.