Back pain

• equium
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #30656 by equium
Back pain was created by equium
I've had back pain intermittently since I was 18 due to an L4/5 disc herniation from poor lifting technique at work. I never rehabilitated properly . Being young meant I was able to lead an active life for a few years but the pain returned and I'm left with degenerated discs at l4/5 and l5/s1.

My advice to all back pain sufferers is to do the following:

1. Read the book "back mechanic"
2. See a McGill trained physio if you can
3. Read the book ultimate back fitness and performance if and when you're interested in getting back to sports
4. For motivation and inspiration, you can also read the gift of injury

I wish I had these resources when I was 18 and committed to the program then. But even as a 32 year old now, these books have saved me and my back. All the recommendations are evidence based. I'm essentially pain free now and look forward to a future with minimal to no pain whatsoever. I rarely take analgesic medications.

I hope these resources help you all the same way they helped me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #30658 by Brett3
Replied by Brett3 on topic Back pain
Wow finally someone who has found some relief. Don’t hear of that often. My back problems stemmed from very physical work from 16 , I was diagnosed with lumbar instability. Well after few accidents later and my spine has left me R S , the past 20 years have been hell. I am now 56 and useless . I have just finished my next round of 5 spine injections in two weeks. So taking it very easy to make sure they help before we star on my thoracic. But so happy to hear your doing well , go you , keep it up.

• equium
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #30659 by equium
Replied by equium on topic Back pain
Hi Brett3
Likewise, I have lumbar instability - just turning over in bed would cause pain on bad days.
I would really encourage you to read those books. Gift of Injury details how the McGill method was able to change Brian Carroll's life. Brian Carroll had split his sacrum, L5 vertberal crush injury, with L4/5 and L5/S1 disc injuries. He was on the verge of suicide. McGill got him pain free and miraculously back to weight lifting. You and I don't need to be deadlifting, but the McGill method will get us enjoying life again. Trust me and read those books + get the accompanying videos versions, as they give greater clarity on how to perform the exercises.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #30660 by Brett3
Replied by Brett3 on topic Back pain
I did all the integrated pain management. That wasn’t worth those few months of my time, it’s in ya head is all I come away with. Funny how imaging and good doctors prove other wise.
Read books ( not the ones you stated) 7 years of physio, 2 years of chiro ( I cant be cracked but he helped in other ways) now in my 3 years with an osteopath, who is awesome, he gives me some for of relief , though not long but enough to give my head a break from the pain. I see him every two weeks , I am permanently booked. In short I have cervicothoracic scoliosis , cervical, thoracic and lumbar spondylosis, DISH in thoracic spine. And all the facet arthropathy one person shouldn’t have. Though touch wood I have no pain in my toes lol

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

About

All demo content is for sample purposes only, to represent a live site.

Note: Galatea is built on the latest version of the Gantry 5 Framework.